Book: Angels in the Bible for Little Ones written by Allia Zobel Nolan, Illustrated by Alida Massari, Zonderkidz, 2017
Genre: Board Book
Target Audience: Boys and Girls 0-3
Subjects: Angels, Bible Stories
Summary/Notes: This is a board book telling stories from the Bible where angels appeared. It covers the following stories:
- The 3 visitors telling Abraham he would have a son
- The angel caring for Elijah in the desert
- The angel shutting the mouths of the lions for Daniel
- The angel telling Mary she would have a son
- The angels appearing to the shepherds to announce the birth of Jesus
- Jesus and the children
- The angel at the tomb telling the women that Jesus is risen
- John’s revelation about Jesus’ second coming
The stories are simple, there is nothing that particularly stands out as good or bad. It’s just another Bible Storybook. It does list the reference for where the story came from under the title of each story. The biggest advantage is that it puts a variety of stories about angels in one place, to give kids a more realistic picture of what angels are. There are a lot of ideas about angels that contradict the Bible – dead people become angels, angels are cute little naked babies with good archery skills, etc. Teaching children from a young age what the Bible truly teaches about angels will help them discern the truth from the lies. I can definitely recommend this book to toddlers.
Spiritual Content Recommendation Scale: 5/5
Psalm 103:20 – Praise the Lord, you his angels, you mighty ones who do his bidding, who obey his word.